Cunningsburgh History Group

C/O Pat Christie Aith, Cunningsburgh
Tel: 01950 477 372
Opening Times:

Every Sunday from 28th April - 1st Sept 2019

From 2pm-5pm

Also by request, please contact Pat Christie on 07771 260198


Simmer Dim 2016 - Aithsvoe, CunningsburghCunningsburgh History Group has been active since it was founded in 2003.  The Group promote an understanding and appreciation of the rich and varied history of Cunningsburgh.  Over the years the Group have added to their collection and you will be assured of a warm welcome.

Cunningsburgh History Hut

The group have a purpose built History Hut where they research and record the history and heritage of the local area. New displays are put on every summer for locals and visitors.  You can also browse old photographs and read about past projects the group have been involved in.

de Havilland Mosquito Memorial

In 2018 the group dedicatied a memorial to the crew of the de Havilland Mosquito DZ642 aircraft that crashed on Royl Field 22nd Novemebr 1944.  Two men were lost that day.  The memorial can be seen outside the hut and information about the fatal crash can be seen in the group's archive. 


Next to the History Hut is a boathouse which consists of the restored lifeboat proporped to be from the Oceanic liner that sunk at Foula in 1914.

Adam Christie Memorial

Just outside the History Hut stands a momorial dedicated to Cunnunisburgh artist and stone mason Adam Christie.   Adam suffered from depression and was sent to Montose Asylum as a young man and never returned to his beloved Shetland.

Photograph Archive

The Group have amassed a large collection of photographs relating to the area and is particularly proud that it has photographs of every person from Quarff and Cunningsburgh who served in World War 2. The group are currently naming and archiving photographs kindly donated through Facebook and local visitors.

Family History

Members of the Group are very happy to assist visitors to research local family history.  They will help identify relations, old photos and locate family homes.

Opening Hours

The History Hut is open on a Sunday over the summer from May to September.  Times coincide with the local hall Sunday Teas from 2pm to 5pm.  Everyone is welcome to come along.  Displays for 2019 will be updated soon.  

Winter Talks and Workshops

The History group meet every second Tuesday of the month in the Cunningsburgh Hall at 7.30pm, from September to May.

Fund Raisers

Donations box.

Annual Auction Sale at Cunningsburgh Hall in aid of the Cunningsburgh History Group, Oct/Nov. 

Find us on Facebook -



See the events calendar for information on upcoming events in the area.