Sandsayre Interpretative Centre and Pier
- Departure Point for Ferry to Mousa and Pictish Broch
- Waiting Room (Public Toilets nearby)
The Interpretative Centre has on display the former “flit-boat” used to transport livestock and materials to the Isle of Mousa. Interpretative panels describe the flora, fauna and local history of the area.
Sandsayre Pier built in 1854 by David and Thomas Stevenson, the Lighthouse builders, serves as the mainland terminal for the privately operated ferry to Mousa and its famous Broch. The pier has deteriorated and funding has been secured to restore the pier. Work commences in Spring 2010 and should be complete by Autumn 2010. During this time the pier will be closed to the public. Notices will be posted to provide information about alternative arrangements and more information can be obtained from the ferry operator.
See the events calendar for information on upcoming events in the area.
Map & Directions
Distance from Lerwick - 14 miles.