Whalsay Heritage and Community Centre SCIO
Island of Whalsay
01806 566 422 /
01806 566 465
Oct – May
Weds 7pm – 9pm
June – Sept
Wed, Fri, Sat & Sun 2pm - 5pm
The Whalsay Heritage and Community Centre SCIO was formed in 1984 and acquired premises in 1993, which is now known as the Whalsay Heritage Centre. This is in the Farmers House, part of the Midden Court complex to the rear of the Secondary School. The school is housed in a former Georgian mansion, which was once home to the Lairds of Whalsay and built around 1830.
The Heritage Centre is a splendid base for meetings and exhibitions. The permanent exhibition is the history of Whalsay’s fishing through the ages and the Lairds influence on the Isle. Each year another part of local history is added.
An important part of the heritage centre is the family history room with its Parish and Census Records. The History group members will be happy to help anyone interested in research. We are open every Wednesday evening through the winter, from 7pm - 9pm and everyone is welcome to come and have a look around.
The restoration of the Farmers house to the Whalsay Heritage Centre was finished in 2006, and it is hoped that the other Midden Court buildings can be restored and made available for a variety of public uses.
Distance from Lerwick - 21 miles to Laxo to meet ferry, then less than 1 mile from Symbister Ferry Terminal.
See the events calendar for information on upcoming events in the area.